10 best wines to buy as a gift
1. Antica Formula Carpano Vermouth
For the negroni-lover in your life, this litre-bottle of red vermouth is a great gift. For a stocking filler, get the 37.5cl size at Ocado (£14).
2. Mad Fish Sauvignon Blanc 2020, Western Australia
This Aussie white is less pungent than one from Marlborough, but still refreshing. Think lemon sorbet, white grapefruit rind and cut grass.
3. Christmas pudding Madeira
A majestic fortified wine that tastes of dried fruit, roasted walnuts, caramel and candied citrus peel. Never mind the Christmas pudding – this makes a beautiful glass with a good hard cheddar or piece of stilton.
4. Ashling Park Estate Cuvée Brut, NV South Downs, England
English sparkling wine keeps getting better. This, made by Dermot Sugrue, is award-winning. Airy, determined, fierce, and yet light and elegant.
5. Domaine des Tourelles Cuvée Pierre Brun 2016, Bekaa Valley, Lebanon
An atmospheric red blend from the Lebanon that would suit a Francophile who wants to stretch their wings. It’s gorgeous stuff.
6. Domaine Jones Fitou 2017, France
Katie Jones grew up in Leicester, but now lives in the rugged wilds of the Languedoc, where she makes sumptuously full reds like this. It smells of dried herbs and figs.
7. Trapiche Pure Malbec Unoaked 2019, Mendoza, Argentina
The juicy plum and mulberry flavours of malbec soar free here, unoaked and luscious. It’s easy to see why malbec has become so popular when it’s as tasty as this.
8. The Best Pedro Ximénez Sherry, NV Spain
As sweet and dark as bonfire toffee, this luscious wine tastes of molasses and molten raisins. It’s made from Pedro Ximénez grapes that have been dried in the sun, and is great poured over vanilla ice cream.
9. Classics No. 1 Bourgogne Blanc 2019, France
Classics are a safe bet for a present, like this white burgundy that is very attractive, clear and lucid. If you want to spend a bit more, try the Classics Chablis (£12, M&S) which is also good.
10. Bodegas Vidigal Artolas Red 2018, Portugal
A quirky but easy drinking red that makes a good last-minute present for just about anyone.
This review was last updated in November 2020. If you have any questions, suggestions for future reviews or spot anything that has changed in price or availability please get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org.