Flaky buttermilk biscuits get a bright blueberry update.
- ¾ cup (111 grams) fresh blueberries, patted dry
- 3 cups (375 grams) all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons (36 grams) granulated sugar
- 3¾ teaspoons (19 grams) baking powder
- 1 tablespoon (3 grams) lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons (6 grams) kosher salt
- ¾ cup (170 grams) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 cup (240 grams) cold whole buttermilk
- 1 large egg (50 grams)
- 1 tablespoon (15 grams) water
- Lemon Whipped Cream (recipe follows)
- Garnish: fresh blueberries
- On a baking sheet, arrange blueberries in a single layer, or place in a resealable plastic freezer bag. Freeze until firm, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, lemon zest, and salt. Using a pastry blender or 2 forks, cut in cold butter until mixture is crumbly. Stir in cold buttermilk until a shaggy dough forms.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Pat into a ¾-inch-thick rectangle, and cut into thirds. Sprinkle with one-third of frozen blueberries, pressing blueberries into dough. Stack thirds on top of each other, placing top third blueberry side down. Pat into a ¾-inch-thick rectangle. Repeat procedure twice using remaining frozen blueberries, flouring work surface as needed. Pat or roll dough to ¾-inch thickness. Using a 2½-inch round cutter dipped in flour, cut dough without twisting cutter, rerolling scraps once, and place at least 1 inch apart on prepared pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and 1 tablespoon (15 grams) water. Brush tops of biscuits with egg wash.
- Bake until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool completely on pan. Serve with Lemon Whipped Cream. Garnish with blueberries.
Lemon Whipped Cream
- 1 cup (240 grams) cold heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons (24 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons (2 grams) lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons (10 grams) lemon juice
- In a large bowl, whisk together all ingredients until soft to medium peaks form. Refrigerate until ready to use.