We kept the base flavors of these tender cookies faithful to the original, with a carrot-rich dough brimming pecans. A thick layer of Sour Cream Buttercream rounds out every bite with just the right amount of tang.
Carrot Cake Sandwich Cookies
- 1 cup (227 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 1¼ cups (275 grams) firmly packed dark brown sugar
- ½ cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs (100 grams), room temperature
- 2 teaspoons (8 grams) vanilla extract
- 2¾ cups (344 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons (3 grams) ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon (3 grams) kosher salt
- ¾ teaspoon (3.75 grams) baking soda
- ½ teaspoon (1 gram) ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon (1 gram) ground ginger
- 1½ cups (1 grams) old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup (107 grams) lightly packed grated carrot
- ½ cup (57 grams) finely chopped pecans*
- Sour Cream Buttercream (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line several baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugars at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, allspice, and ginger. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating just until combined. Beat in oats, carrot, and pecans. Using a 1½-tablespoon scoop, scoop dough (about 28 grams each). Using floured hands, roll each dough scoop into a smooth ball; press into a disk (2 inches in diameter and ⅝ inch thick). Place 2 inches apart on prepared pans.
- Bake until edges are golden brown, 11 to 14 minutes. Let cool on pans for 5 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks.
- Place Sour Cream Buttercream in a piping bag fitted with ½-inch round piping tip (Wilton 1A). Pipe a large dollop of buttercream onto flat side of half of cookies, leaving a ¼-inch border. Place remaining cookies, flat side down, on top of buttercream, pressing lightly to push buttercream to edges of cookies. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Let stand at room temperature for 10 to 15 minutes to soften slightly before serving.
*We used Sunnyland Farms Raw Georgia Pecan Halves.
Sour Cream Buttercream
- ½ cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup (120 grams) sour cream, divided
- ½ teaspoon (2 grams) vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups (360 grams) confectioners’ sugar, divided
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter until smooth, about 1 minute. Add ¼ cup (60 grams) sour cream, vanilla, and salt, beating just until combined. Add 1½ cups (180 grams) confectioners’ sugar, beating until combined. Beat in remaining ¼ cup (60 grams) sour cream. Add remaining 1½ cups (180 grams) confectioners’ sugar, beating until smooth and fluffy. Use immediately.