Coconut Pie Crust Easy and Light Recipe
A light savory crust that will work with any fruit pie, cream pie or savory pie. Light and easy.
- 350ml all-purpose flour (mix in some coconut flour for lighter version)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 50g vegetable shortening (or coconut oil)
- 50g butter
- 4-5 tablespoons ice water
- In a large bowl, combine the flour and the salt. Cut in the shortening and butter with a pastry blender or two forks until the mixture resembles a coarse meal.
- Gradually add enough ice water to the mixture while mixing with a wooden spoon until a ball of dough is formed.
- Pour the dough onto a lightly floured sheet of plastic wrap and form into a disc. Lightly flour the top of the pie dough and place another sheet of plastic wrap on top. Rolling from the centre, roll until the dough is about 3-4mm thickness. Remove the top piece of plastic wrap, fold the dough over and lay across the pie plate and remove the bottom piece of plastic wrap. Press the pie dough lightly into the bottom and sides of the pie plate. If pre-baking, use a fork and lightly prick the bottom and sides of the pie dough. Then preheat the oven to 220 ºC and bake the pie crust for about 8 minutes.
- If not pre-baking, simply fill the pie crust with pie filling and bake according to instructions for the pie recipe.