This small-batch clover-style roll recipe includes dough infused with Corona® beer for a hint of malty flavor and subtle sweetness that pairs perfectly with roasted garlic, cotija cheese, and cilantro. Achieve the clover shape by placing three dough balls into a muffin cup for a unique presentation.
Corona® Beer Rolls
- ¾ cup plus 3 tablespoons (225 grams) warm Corona beer (105°F/41°C to 110°F/43°C), divided
- 2¼ teaspoons (7 grams) active dry yeast
- ¾ tablespoon (15.75 grams) honey
- 2⅔ cups (339 grams) bread flour
- 5 ounces (141 grams) grated cotija cheese, divided
- ½ recipe Roasted Garlic (recipe follows)
- 1 tablespoon (12 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon (2 grams) chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ tablespoon (4.5 grams) kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons (28 grams) unsalted butter, melted
- Garnish: flaked sea salt, grated cotija cheese, chopped fresh cilantro
- In a small bowl, stir together ½ cup (120 grams) warm beer, yeast, and honey. Let stand until foamy, 5 to 10 minutes.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment, combine flour, 4 ounces (113 grams) cheese, half of Roasted Garlic, sugar, cilantro, and kosher salt. Add yeast mixture and remaining ¼ cup plus 3 tablespoons (105 grams) warm beer, and beat at low speed until a smooth, elastic dough forms, 8 to 9 minutes.
- Spray a medium bowl with cooking spray. Place dough in bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°F/24°C) until doubled in size, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Punch down dough, and turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough into 12 portions (about 60 grams each). Working with 1 portion at a time (keep remaining dough covered to prevent it from drying out), divide each portion into 3 pieces (about 20 grams each). Roll each piece into a ball. Place 3 dough balls in each prepared muffin cup. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°F/24°C) until doubled in size, about 40 minutes. (Alternatively, cover tightly, and refrigerate overnight. When ready to bake, let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.)
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Brush rolls with melted butter, and sprinkle with remaining 1 ounce (28 grams) cheese.
- Bake until golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted in center registers 190°F (88°C), 8 to 10 minutes, rotating pans halfway through baking. Brush with melted butter again, and sprinkle with sea salt, cheese, and cilantro, if desired. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- 1 large (2½-inch) head garlic (about 73 grams)
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Cut ¼ inch off top end of garlic, keeping cloves intact. Place garlic, cut side up, on foil. Drizzle with oil, and sprinkle with salt; wrap garlic in foil.
- Bake until soft, 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes. Let cool completely. Squeeze pulp into a small bowl, and mash with a fork.