Velvety smooth cranberry curd finds the perfect complement in a crunchy Salty Peanut Crust. A halo of pomegranate arils adds another layer of tart, juicy flavor and a touch of glowing wintry charm.
Cranberry Pomegranate Curd Tart
- 2 cups (224 grams) frozen cranberries
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar
- 2½ tablespoons (20 grams) orange zest
- ⅓ cup (80 grams) fresh orange juice
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup (113 grams) unsalted butter cubed and softened
- 2 large eggs (100 grams)
- 2 large egg yolks (37 grams)
- Salty Peanut Crust (recipe follows)
- ¾ cup (125 grams) pomegranate arils
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C)
- In a medium saucepan, bring cranberries sugar, orange zest and juice, and salt to a simmer over medium heat Simmer until cranberries have softened and released their juices, about 10 minutes. Strain mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a medium bowl, pressing on solids. Discard solids. Add butter to cranberry mixture, whisking until combined. Let cool for 3 minutes Add eggs and egg yolks, whisking until well combined.
- Return cranberry mixture to saucepan; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until thickened, 5 to 10 minutes. Let cool to room temperature. Pour cranberry mixture into prepared Salty Peanut Crust, smoothing top.
- Bake until set, about 10 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Sprinkle with pomegranate arils. Store at room temperature for up to 2 days.
Salty Peanut Crust
- 1¼ cups (156 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (142 grams) unsalted roasted peanuts
- ¼ cup (27 grams) peanut butter powder
- ¾ teaspoon (2.25 grams) kosher salt
- ½ cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, cubed and softened
- 1 large egg yolk (19 grams)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In the work bowl of a food processor, place flour, peanuts, peanut butter powder, and salt; pulse until finely ground. Add butter and process until mixture is crumbly. Add egg yolk and process until a crumbly dough forms. Shape dough into a disk, and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Transfer dough to a 9-inch round removable-bottom tart pan, pressing into bottom and up sides. Freeze for 15 minutes.
- Top dough with a piece of parchment paper, letting ends extend over edges of pan. Add pie weights.
- Bake until edges are set, about 20 minutes. Carefully remove paper and weights. Bake until crust is golden brown, about 10 minutes more. Let cool completely on a wire rack.