The holidays are all about traditions, and when it comes to baking, we believe it’s worth making some new ones. With all the warmth and spiciness of gingerbread packed into an ultra-tender crumb, this Gingerbread Coffee Cake is a winner you’ll want to bake year after year. The spiced ginger in the cake pair deliciously with the buttery, earthy notes of the crunchy Hazelnut Streusel. The best part? This stir-together recipe can be whipped up in a flash, so you can have a mouthwatering holiday breakfast on the table in no time.
Gingerbread Coffee Cake
- ¾ cup (165 grams) firmly packed dark brown sugar
- ½ cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup (85 grams) unsulphured molasses
- 2 large eggs (100 grams)
- 2 teaspoons (8 grams) vanilla extract
- 1⅔ cups (208 grams) all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons (33 grams) chopped candied ginger
- 1½ teaspoons (7.5 grams) baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons (3 grams) ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon (2 grams) ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon (1.5 grams) kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ cup (120 grams) sour cream
- ¼ cup (60 grams) whole milk
- Hazelnut Streusel (recipe follows)
- Garnish: confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray a 9-inch springform pan with baking spray with flour.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together brown sugar, melted butter, molasses, eggs, and vanilla.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together flour, candied ginger, baking powder, ground ginger, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, and cloves. Whisk flour mixture into butter mixture. Add sour cream and milk, whisking just until combined. Pour into prepared pan, smoothing top with an offset spatula. Sprinkle with Hazelnut Streusel.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool in pan for 15 minutes. Remove from pan, and dust with confectioners’ sugar, if desired. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- ½ cup (63 grams) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (57 grams) chopped raw hazelnuts
- ¼ cup (55 grams) firmly packed dark brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 tablespoons (42 grams) unsalted butter, melted
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, hazelnuts, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, and ginger. Stir in melted butter until mixture is crumbly. Crumble with your fingertips until desired consistency is reached.