Glazed Citrus Loaf (Citreoncake)
Serves: 1 (9×5-inch) cake
- 1 cup (227 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 1¼ cups (250 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon (3 grams) lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons (7 grams) tightly packed orange zest
- 4 large eggs (200 grams), room temperature
- 2 teaspoons (12 grams) vanilla bean paste
- 2 cups (250 grams) plus 1 teaspoon (3 grams) unbleached cake flour, divided
- ¾ teaspoon (2.25 grams) kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon (1.25 grams) baking powder
- ⅓ cup (80 grams) whole milk, room temperature
- ½ cup (70 grams) finely chopped candied orange slices
- Vanilla Glaze (recipe follows)
- 1¼ cups (150 grams) confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 3 tablespoons (45 grams) heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons (28 grams) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 325°F (170°C). Spray a 9×5-inch loaf pan with baking spray with flour; line pan with parchment paper, letting excess extend over sides of pan.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter, sugar, and zests at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until combined after each addition. Beat in vanilla bean paste. (Mixture may look slightly curdled at this point, but batter will come together.)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 2 cups (250 grams) flour, salt, and baking powder. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. (Batter will be thick.)
- In a small bowl, stir together candied orange and remaining 1 teaspoon (3 grams) flour until well combined; fold into batter. Spoon batter into prepared pan; using a small offset spatula, smooth into an even layer.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 1 hour and 20 minutes to 1 hour and 25 minutes, rotating pan halfway through baking. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes. Using excess parchment as handles, remove from pan, and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Spoon Vanilla Glaze onto cooled cake, and spread as desired. Serve immediately, or let stand until glaze is set, about 30 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, stir together all ingredients until smooth and well combined. Use immediately.