County Cork’s misty seaside cliffs and rolling green pastures are home to the cows that make some of Ireland’s best Irish cream. After meeting the founder and experiencing the artisan nature of Five Farms Irish Cream Liqueur, we knew it was destined to be featured in this marble cake frosted with a buttercream that showcases the liqueur’s delicate flavor and incomparable quality.
Irish Cream Cake
- ½ cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (224 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs (100 grams), room temperature
- 1¾ cups (219 grams) cake flour
- 2 teaspoons (10 grams) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon (1.5 grams) kosher salt
- ⅔ cup (160 grams) Irish cream liqueur*
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) vanilla extract
- ¼ cup (35 grams) 66% cacao semisweet chocolate baking wafers
- 1 tablespoon (15 grams) whole milk
- Irish Cream Buttercream Frosting (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray a 9-inch round cake pan with baking spray with flour.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. In a small bowl, combine liqueur and vanilla. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with liqueur mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Reserve ½ cup (about 135 grams) batter in a small bowl. Pour remaining batter into prepared pan, smoothing top with an offset spatula.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, place chocolate. Heat on high in 15-second intervals, stirring between each, until melted and smooth. Stir in reserved batter and milk until combined. Drop tablespoonfuls of chocolate batter on top of batter in pan. Using the tip of an offset spatula or butter knife, swirl batters.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool in pan for 15 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool completely on a wire rack. Using an offset spatula, top cake with Irish Cream Buttercream Frosting.
Irish Cream Buttercream
- ¾ cup (170 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups (360 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- 3 tablespoons (45 grams) Irish cream liqueur
- ¾ teaspoon (4.5 grams) vanilla bean paste
- ¾ teaspoon (2.25 grams) kosher salt
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter at medium speed until creamy, about 3 minutes. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar, beating until combined. Add liqueur, vanilla bean paste, and salt, and beat at medium-high speed until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. (Do not overbeat.) Use immediately.