There’s something so nostalgic about yellow cake with chocolate frosting, and sometimes, there’s just nothing better! As part of our celebratory birthday week for editor-in-chief Brian Hart Hoffman, we’re taking our Vanilla Buttermilk Cake with Chocolate Buttermilk Frosting and turning it into individual mini cakes. We hope these mini cakes will add a pop of color and sweetness to any birthday celebration!
Small-Batch Vanilla Buttermilk Mini Cakes with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- ½ cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs (100 grams)
- ½ teaspoon (2 grams) vanilla extract
- 1⅓ cups (167 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1¼ teaspoons (6.25 grams) baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup (120 grams) whole buttermilk
- Chocolate-Buttermilk Frosting (recipe follows)
- Garnish: multicolored sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray a 6-well mini cake pan* with baking spray with flour.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Divide batter among prepared wells.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 18 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool completely on a wire rack. Spread Chocolate-Buttermilk Frosting onto cooled cakes. Garnish with sprinkles, if desired.
Chocolate Buttermilk Frosting
- ¾ cup (170 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups (360 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons (31 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¾ teaspoon (2.25 grams) kosher salt
- 4½ tablespoons (67.5 grams) whole buttermilk
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter at medium speed until creamy.
- In a large bowl, place confectioners’ sugar. Sift cocoa over confectioners’ sugar. Add salt, and whisk together until combined.
- With mixer on low speed, add sugar mixture to butter, beating until combined. Gradually add buttermilk, beating until mixture reaches a spreadable consistency.