For last year’s Williams Sonoma Peppermint Bark Off, Erin Clarkson of the blog Cloudy Kitchen made the most epic Peppermint Bark and Milk Chocolate Tart with Swiss Meringue Buttercream. We decided to give her recipe a triple-chocolate spin. You’ll come for the chocolate graham cracker crust and the ganache filling, but you’ll stay for our Simple Salted Peppermint Bark. Studded with sea salt and packed with crushed peppermint candies, the bark rounds out every bite of this indulgent dessert with wintry freshness.
Triple Chocolate Peppermint Tart
- 1½ cups (170 grams) chocolate graham cracker crumbs (about 11 sheets)
- 2 tablespoons (24 grams) granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons (84 grams) unsalted butter, melted
- ½ teaspoon (2 grams) vanilla extract
- 10 ounces (284 grams) 64% cacao semisweet chocolate, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1¼ cups (300 grams) heavy whipping cream
- ¾ teaspoon (3 grams) peppermint extract
- White Chocolate Frosting (recipe follows)
- Garnish: Simple Salted Peppermint Bark (recipe follows), crushed peppermint candies
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray a 13¾x4½-inch removable-bottom tart pan with cooking spray.
- In the work bowl of a food processor, combine graham cracker crumbs and sugar. Pulse until well combined, about 4 pulses. Add melted butter and vanilla; pulse until combined and mixture holds together when pinched. Press mixture into bottom and up sides of prepared pan.
- Bake until crust is set and fragrant, about
- minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a large heatproof bowl, place chocolate and salt.
- In a medium saucepan, bring cream to a simmer over medium heat. Pour cream over chocolate; let stand for 5 minutes. Stir until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Stir in peppermint extract. Slowly pour chocolate mixture into prepared crust, carefully smoothing into an even layer with a small offset spatula. (Tart shell will be quite full.) Refrigerate until filling is set, at least 4 hours.
- Place White Chocolate Frosting in a large pastry bag fitted with a coupler; pipe onto tart using a variety of piping tips*. Garnish with Simple Salted Peppermint Bark and peppermint candies, if desired.
*We used Wilton No. 21 and No. 32 piping tips
White Chocolate Frosting
- 3 ounces (85 grams) cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 ounces (55 grams) white chocolate, melted and cooled for 5 minutes
- 1 cup (120 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- ¼ teaspoon (1 gram) vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese and butter with a mixer at medium speed until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Beat in melted white chocolate. Add confectioners’ sugar, vanilla, and salt; beat until well combined, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Use immediately.
Simple Salted Peppermint Bark
- 6 ounces (170 grams) dark chocolate melting wafers
- ¾ teaspoon (3 grams) peppermint extract, divided
- ¼ teaspoon (1 gram) vanilla extract
- 8 ounces (227 grams) white chocolate melting wafers
- 8 round peppermint candies, roughly crushed (36 grams)
- ¼ teaspoon (1 gram) flaked sea salt
- Line a 9-inch square baking pan with parchment paper, letting excess extend over sides of pan.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, place dark chocolate; heat on high in 10-second intervals, stirring between each, until melted and smooth, about 1 minute to 1 minute and 30 seconds. Stir in ½ teaspoon (2 grams) peppermint extract and vanilla.
- Spread melted dark chocolate in an even layer on bottom of prepared pan. Firmly tap on counter several times to remove any air bubbles; let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in another small microwave-safe bowl, place white chocolate; heat on high in 10-second intervals, stirring between each, until melted and smooth, about 1 minute to 1 minute and 30 seconds. Stir in remaining ¼ teaspoon (1 gram) peppermint extract.
- Spread melted white chocolate onto dark chocolate. Sprinkle with crushed peppermints and sea salt. Let stand until hardened, about 1 hour. Use immediately, or store in an airtight container.