What’s better than a fudgy brownie? A fudgy brownie topped with crisp, chocolate-swirled meringue. We baked the brownie base first and then topped it with generous swoops of meringue before baking a second time to sweet perfection.
Twice-Baked Meringue Brownie Loaf
- 5 ounces (141 grams) 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate baking bars, chopped and divided
- ½ cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 teaspoons (4 grams) espresso powder
- 1½ cups (300 grams) granulated sugar, divided
- ½ cup (110 grams) firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cup (125 grams) all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (21 grams) Dutch process cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon (3 grams) kosher salt
- 3 large eggs (150 grams), lightly beaten
- 1½ teaspoons (6 grams) vanilla extract
- 3 large egg whites (90 grams)
- 1½ teaspoons (4.5 grams) cornstarch
- ¾ teaspoon (3.75 grams) distilled white vinegar
- Position oven rack in center of oven. Preheat oven to 325°F (170°C). Line a 9×5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper, letting excess extend over sides of pan; spray parchment with cooking spray.
- In the top of a double boiler, combine 4 ounces (113 grams) chocolate, butter, and espresso powder. Cook over simmering water, stirring occasionally, until mixture is smooth. Turn off heat, and whisk in ¾ cup (150 grams) granulated sugar and brown sugar. (Mixture will look granular.) Remove from heat, and let cool slightly.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, and salt.
- Add eggs to chocolate mixture, whisking until combined. Whisk in vanilla. Fold in flour mixture until a few bits of flour remain. Spread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake until top is shiny and set, 50 to 55 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in the metal bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together egg whites and remaining ¾ cup (150 grams) granulated sugar by hand. Place bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Cook, whisking frequently, until sugar is dissolved and an instant-read thermometer registers 120°F (49°C) to 130°F (54°C). Carefully return bowl to stand mixer. Using the whisk attachment, beat at high speed until stiff peaks form and bowl is cool to the touch, 4 to 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and vinegar. Add to egg white mixture, and beat until combined, about 30 seconds.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, heat remaining 1 ounce (28 grams) chocolate on high in 30-second intervals, stirring between each, until melted and smooth.
- Remove brownie from oven, and spoon meringue on top. Drizzle with melted chocolate, and swirl gently until desired look is reached. Position oven rack in bottom third of oven; return brownie to oven.
- Immediately reduce oven temperature to 275°F (140°C), and bake until meringue is dry to the touch and an instant-read thermometer inserted in meringue registers at least 160°F (71°C), 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool in pan for 20 minutes. Using excess parchment as handles, remove from pan, and let cool completely on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.